Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Blooming marvellous


The Friend Who Knows About Bees also knows about growing stuff. So when he asked me if I'd planted tomatoes yet and said, "oh", when I told him I hadn't I knew that I'd left it too late. Sure enough, a quick check revealed that tomatoes take between 3-5 months to grow from seed. Since summer officially starts tomorrow, I decided to take some shorts cuts and bought some biggish seedlings from the nursery.

Faced with an abundance of varieties, each one claiming super power such as "Australia's favourite", "Easiest to Grow", "Heirloom Variety" "Masses of Fruit & Sweet Flavour", I decided to have a crack at most of them.


At the very least, I'll see which ones suit the urban mini-farm best (if at all). Last year, I tried growing some in pots and they were the flouriest things I'd ever tasted. Hoping for better luck this year.


Something that's been growing very successfully are the crochet flowers from the pattern I posted a few weeks back. Megan, who must have one of the most stylish caravans travelling around Australia at the moment, sent me this pic of her successful woolly garden.

My tomatoes probably won't get quite as much sun but hopefully they too will bloom as easily as Megan's.

3 comments:

  1. I am sure there is plenty of summer for those gorgeous tomato plants to grow and fruit! I remember reading that when buying tomato plants, often the ones that look straggly and half dead are good ones to get as they think they are dying so bloom and produce fruit quicker. Here's to homegrown tasty tomatoes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our toms are looking good, lots of fruit already. This year we planted Grosse Lisse, an oldie but a goodie and Lucy Violet's tomato of choice.

    Love that pic of Megan's caravan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are going to have the most wonderful tomato salads this summer if all those plants fruit. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete