Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Pantry challenge


With the Child away for four days (her first unaccompanied minor flight, eeek) visiting her best mate who's holidaying in Canberra, I chose to spend the whole of yesterday clearing out cupboards. Out went piles of magazines, cushion inserts, lamp bases I must have thought would become not ugly if shut away. It felt good. Very good. The Martha Stewart high point of the day was to dedicate a shelf to nothing but vases. I'm easily pleased, obviously.

Anyway, thought I'd also clear out the pantry and fridge by challenging myself to only cook with food that was already in the house before the Child comes back. So far, so good.

Lunch was guacamole with a side of baked and broken Mountain Bread which basically turns it into homemade wholemeal chips. To do the same line a baking sheet with paper, tear the Mountain Bread into pieces and spray with extra-virgin olive oil and sprinkle with salt. The spray distributes the oil evenly, not that you can really have to much olive oil on anything. Put in a moderate oven and bake until golden, which takes only about five minutes.

Dinner last night was zucchini pasta and tonight we're having homemade fried rice, made with some left-over free-range bacon I found in the freezer so things are looking good.

With the husband and I both eyeing off the last piece of fruit, a lone peach, tomorrow's another day...

Tip: Mountain Bread chips make a great substitute for crackers on a cheese board.

2 comments:

  1. I never thought to make chips from Mountain bread. What a good idea. I have an unhealthy obsession with potato chips... so homemade mountain bread chips sound like something I should try.
    Thanks Vera!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carla, for a chip substitute I'd skip the spray and drizzle the olive oil on. They still keep well in a container. If you don't eat them all in one go, that is. Vera x

    ReplyDelete